Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What good would it do?

With riots in Tibet citizens around the world wonder what is happening. But are the citizens of China?

My students are well educated, well informed and well off, so they have some idea of what is happening in Tibet. Most are hesitant to talk about it, perhaps skirting the subject if it comes up, but they know something is happening - something bad. The teachers were all warned on our first day to not talk about two things - religion and politics. None of us bring Tibet up with our students, not now at least.

The China I live in is as modern as anywhere I've ever lived. Cultivated, fortunate and prosperous Shanghai shows no outwards signs of oppression. I haven't seen any protests, then again, I didn't see many in Boston after college either. As a westerner, my safety and status are secure, leaving me only to contemplate how the current situation can be acceptable. How can the people here accept everything they hear, or better yet, accept what they don't hear?

We’re not in a vacuum. I read CNN.com everyday for my news; why bother with the Chinese newspapers? They’re state run. Being closer to the problem doesn’t give me more insight, though I also don’t feel like I’m getting less than the observer back home in Boston due to censorship. The only insight I can say is that both the government’s and freedom fighter’s news reports are lies. Nobody is honest in China.

Yet the pinch of the government is felt in by westerners in Shanghai none the less. Understandably my roommate and co-worker who had separate trips planned to Tibet next month, for business and pleasure were denied the extended visa foreigners need. Less understandably, blocking YouTube spiked my interest in the entire problem. Not that I’d even planned on watching YouTube this week, the idea that it is somehow dangerous because it is harboring video of Tibetan riots, protests or whatever you see fit to call them, seems ludicrous. YouTube is no more capable of inciting violence than airing last weeks SNL sketch.

I see no anger in Shanghai among the people, at least no visible anger. When I asked some of my most progressive students why nobody did anything they responded, “What good would it do? Speaking out won’t change anything, so it’s better to say nothing.” The government has seemingly succeeded beyond simply quelling the desire to protest in most of the country, the country has stopped the populous from discussing it at all. Whether out of fear or self benefit, the subject of government mistakes is swept under the rug.

Somehow it makes me proud to be an American.

1 comment:

Patrick Hart said...

I wonder if some of your students may have been reluctant to discuss any feelings they do have with you because you are perceived as an authority figure. It does seem like because of the internet, as well as some slackening since the Mao years, there is probably more opportunity to access different viewpoints and ideas in China today. Have you seen many signs of political activism at all while over there?