Saturday, December 22, 2007

Aimless

My boss is on vacation. I have a substitute boss who is training me, but everyone is very busy and has too much to do. As a result, I kind of get to set my own schedual (or at least I have). I actually have to get up and be at breakfast by 9 (or else I don't get any... they pack it away and give appologetic faces if you walk in at 930 - as I discovered). But then I stroll into work around 11. I'll watch a class or two and then I'm kind of free for the rest of the afternoon. It makes it a little difficult if there are social activities at my office in the evening (as I will not be arround unless I come back), but I'm managing.

Yesterday I tried walking home to my hotel, only to fail miserably and need to grab a taxi home. I did get to try out a little chinese resturant I'd been eyeing for a few days. Its always packed when I pass it on the bus, so i was very excited when I stumled across it (at dinner time!). I had no idea what to order (much less how). I ended up pointing at the very large picture of dumplings above the menue (because some of my students had told me it was good luck to eat dumplings on the shortest night of the year. Something about they are hearty and will keep your heart warm all year, which given the alternative I'm all for). Yes the dumplings were delicious but perhaps the best part about it all was the chopstick dispenser!!! Like the straw dispenser at McDonald's, you push on the little bar and a chopstick falls out, then you push it again for the second!!! I can't explain how delighted this made me and I struggled to take only my 1 pair (and not steal a second). I do want nice chopsticks and these were very sturdy, utilitarian and wooden (not porcelin or fake ivory). The trip to Shanghai is worth it for this alone...

In the meantime I'm still appartment hunting and trying to scrounge together something to do for Christmas. I'm not looking forward to spending it alone, but I'll make do somehow. Hopefully I'll find some mates to go celibrate with.

No comments: