Tuesday, December 18, 2007

GREETINGS FROM SHANGHAI

TOUCHDOWN IN SHANGHAI!
I have finally arrived in China.

So it took longer than I expected, but I'm here. The past 3 weeks have been a whirlwind, and frankly, they have been a blast. I must have gained 20 pounds wining and dining, catching up and saying goodbye. I would say I squandered my last chances for a home cooked meal, but frankly, everything I did was terrific. I highly recommend telling people your leaving the country so they go nuts and throw massive celebrations in your honor.

Oh yes, and then I recommend actually leaving the country. I'm going to miss home, I miss it already. It didn't hit me until 1pm on the day I left Boston (7pm flight to Chicago) but I'm really going to miss being home, and the 3 week celebration of awesomeness didn't make leaving any easier. So I'm going to keep a stiff upper lip during hard times and remember I'm on an adventure.

The truth is i don't know what i'm doing here. I don't know why I chose Shanghai other than it would have me. But now were together and will be come very close over the next year. I know I could have chosen a less western city (heck, my first meal over here was KFC, I kid you not it was). But right now i'm feeling this is as out there as I can stomach.

To be honest, I'm probably still jet lagged and cranky, but when you arrive at a city renowned for pollution and smog, and when you show up the visibility is like, half a mile due to fog - you totally freak out a little bit. The weathers better today, but this is no ivory city, let just say the railing of my balcony in my hotel room fails the white glove test.

Oh yes, thats right, I have a balcony on the 16th floor of my hotel overlooking the city. Well, overlooking part of it, or at least the part that hasn't disappeared in to the distant smog. My hotel room is small, with a friggen plank for a bed, but for now its home. I had breakfast at the hotel, and thankfully they have a proper western breakfast with bacon and eggs (although they are hard boiled eggs soaked in tea... i didn't ask, but they weren't bad). I'll get more adventurous with the food, don't you wait, but at 7 am on my first day, i just wasn't feeling mystery broth.

I showed up to my new job in the EF MEGACENTER, which at least has a cool name. I mean, if you have to work somewhere where the architecture is straight from IKEA (pictures will follow) you might as well have a sweet name. I'll be teaching adults (as I thought). Also, as a bonus, tonight is a bit of a holiday party. Not quite what EF Boston's holiday party, but a party none the less. I'll get to meet my new co-workers and share a drink and frankly, I'm going to enjoy it. But before I do I need to get a nap..... stupid jetlag

1 comment:

Alex Kieft said...

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound! Keep up the good work and show'em what a real American looks like.