Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Celtics

Still waking up and a little groggy, I turned on my TV this morning to be delightfully surprised to see my Boston Celtics crushing the hated LA Lakers by 30 points. After the initial joy of realizing my team was going to win the NBA championship, I could only wish I'd woken up earlier to see more of the butt-whoopin'. Plus, this was certainly a better way to show up to work than after the Super Bowl. As the game was winding down and I was preparing for a days worth of work (watching sports in the morning is weird), I did the only logical thing I could think of... I wore all green to work today to celebrate.

China loves basketball, so all the finals games were part of morning TV on the network sports channel. True, the announcers were speaking Chinese, but 'blow-out' is the same in all languages. Over the past two weeks not a day has gone by that I didn't see a Lakers or Celtics jersey here, but we all know China's favorite team is the Rockets (I've heard Houston referred to as Yao Ming's City before). But its nice to be able to celebrate something, which unlike the last two sports championships, my students can understand and relate to.

All and all I wonder if I chose the wrong year to come to China. I mean, between the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics, this may have been the greatest year Boston sports will ever know. I can take comfort in the fact that I saw the Red Sox win (in person) and watched the Patriots right up until the end (when it got sad). But this would have been my first NBA title since I was 2. Guess they'll have to do it again next year when I can be a little closer to home... that is, if I am.

As an extra bonus, today marks exactly 6 months in China for me. Its the midway point, or you could say its all downhill from here. Perhaps I'll have more thoughts on that later for you, but for now I'll treat you to an Oscar worthy picture montage of my time in China so far... enjoy

1 comment:

Patrick Hart said...

Congrats on six months. I think you were the only person in our place who actually followed basketball last year, so this must feel great. Now, of course, I and everyone else in Boston are complete bandwagon fans; still, though, it was an amazing playoff run and seeing Rondo and everyone else just keep on stealing the ball was delightful. Anyhoo, sounds like China is still really exciting.