Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sorry for the delay

I've been busy lately. After sitting around here for 11 months I have finally developed a social life, and am not afraid to use it. The sad side of that is that I have less time to blog it seems, but the recent gap has been unacceptable. I haven't been idle. I went to my first ever massage, I made numerous trips to the fake and fabric markets, stocking up for my triumphant returns home. I've gotten into the Christmas spirit - drinking festive drinks and singing festive tunes. I've watched more bootleg movies than you can shake a stick at. This all might seem mundane (it sounds rather mundane to me, I mean, compared to blogging about far off lands children marvel about it sure does), but the point is that I'm having fun and rather enjoying myself most of the time.

After a year here I'm surprised to discover a few things are still the same:

1) The food is still awesome, maybe even better. I know more places to go for good cheap food, so my repertoire of restaurants is even better than ever. Everything from western home cookin' to local street food I wouldn't trust a guests stomach with is just steps from my house, my office or both. I am trying to learn how to cook some of it, because some of it doesn't exist in Boston. Some of it wouldn't pass health code, some of it might be too preparation involved - but that doesn't mean it isn't delicious and still foreign.

2) I love getting off the subway. Maybe I'm a bad person, but when I alight the subway into a throbbing mass of impatient locals I delight in lowering the boom, thrusting the hoards back and plowing my way to freedom, much like a secret service member protecting the President. It's been 11 months, and after the initial shock and chagrin, it's become a joy. I'm pretty sure I'm a bad person.

3) It changes fast here. Dunkin' Dounuts just opened down the street from us. Another subway line is opening soon. We got a Best Buy here too! Maybe its a sad sign, that everywhere in the world is starting to look similar - but I won't complain on Wednesday when Coldstone is passing out free ice cream to celebrate its anniversary.

4) They love western traditions, like Christmas. The stores are flooded with Christmas decorations, maybe not like back home, but they at least try to make it feel like Christmas. Even my office has gotten into the swing of things, replacing the incessant jazz music with a little Christmas jazz music. It makes it easier to live in a country I still don't get.

5) I need to get out. I've never been anywhere for a solid year before, and what a place to choose to spend a solid year. It's been memorable, mostly enjoyable, so enjoyable I've found a reason to go back in January, but for now.... I need a break... before I actually hurt someone getting off the subway.

No comments: