Thursday, January 22, 2009

Heart of Shanghai

Just like any box office smash hit, I've returned to China for a second tour of duty. My stint at home was a wonderful mental rest, allowing me to recharge, reboot and generally mellow out about all those stressful 'China-related' things. It's much easier to approach this year than last, as I now have not only a social structure on which to hang my hat, but a level of mental preparation with which to deal with any potential cultural divides.


My United flight, complete with a stop over in San Francisco, felt a little like my own personal version of Joseph Conrad's book (without me killing Marlon Brando at the end). We were first served Chicken Teriyaki, followed a few hours later by pot noodles - the meals became more and more asian, less and less western. When I ventured to the bathroom, I made a humorous discovery which I'd never noticed before. On either side of the toilet, presumably on almost every style of aircraft, there are two small platforms. They're too small to be tables or anything, and they are located on either side of the walls cramped in next to the toilet. What are they? They're footholds for Asians who refuse to use western toilets like westerners do by sitting down. Instead, an squat toilet fan can hoist themselves onto these footholds above the toilet and do their business in their own traditional way. I even confirmed it when I arrived here... next time you're on a plane, check it out in the bathroom.


After arriving I have had 2 days to adjust to the culture, but more importantly to jet lag, before I start teaching on Friday. For some reason I always believe I'm better than the jet lag, that it doesn't effect me, or that I can tough it out. However, as my 1 hour nap stretched into it's 4th hour, I realized jet lag has complete control over me. Thank goodness the cultural adjustment is easier the second time around.

No comments: