Sunday, January 4, 2009

Home

I came home for Christmas. Lasting a year in China was my original goal, and upon its completion I was permitted to return home to visit friends and family for one month. I'm going back to Shanghai soon, but sitting at home, having finished a make up Thanksgiving Dinner my mom prepared in honor of the one I missed, I'm slowly forgetting what China is like. It's nice.

People ask me constantly, "Do you have reverse culture shock?" I thought I would. I don't. Lexington has been the place I called home for my entire life, no matter if I lived in London, Sommerville or Shanghai. Plus everything makes sense now - things are just a little more difficult in China, but here they're a little bit easier. I don't know if its just because of the language, my familiarity with the culture or if America just is more efficient, but I feel like a yoke of hassle has been lifted from my back and the constant preparation required to fulfil mundane tasks has slipped by the wayside. In short, I live a life of complete relaxation.

No comments: