Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Whistle Power

As the world economic crises thickens, countries around the globe are searching for ways to get people off the street and into jobs. Like the United States, China has launched it's own initiative to provide work for the excess of 20 million men, women and children recently laid off from factories and other jobs. One solution the government had was to put crossing guards, armed with whistles, at ever intersection between my house and the subway with express intentions to piss me off.

I appreciate that these men have jobs, and congratulations to the government for providing for them. It's just that... well, I can't stand them. Stationed 4 to an intersection, these reflective-vest-wearing state employees were given whistles and instructions not to let anyone set foot off the curb if they don't have a green walk signal. Why is the government targeting a crackdown on the ever dangerous jay-walking when none of the vehicles seem concerned for the rules makes me wonder if the police are treating the paper cut because the knife wound looked too daunting.

Or maybe I'm just bitter. These men have no tact, manners or soul. Last week, having absent mindedly taken 2 steps off the curb while waiting for the light to change, the nearest whistle bearer came running over, whistle shrieking at full tilt until he was 5 feet away and continued to lay on the noise until I'd retreated the yard back to the curb. Not to be cliche, but I've never seen so little power go to someone's head. The overreaction to the offense seems vastly disproportional, but then again... isn't China known for over reactions and power going to peoples heads?

Not that I wish these people didn't have jobs, nor am I unhappy that China is at least trying to enforce a rule - for a change, and nor is my life vastly effected by this change (I now patiently wait on the curb and watch in astonishment at the vast number of startled offenders whistled off the crosswalk). What dismays me is the attitude of these men. My story above isn't an isolated experience, I've witnessed dozens of others befall the same screeching fate in the past few days. But in a country better known for authoritarianism than humanitarianism, perhaps it isn't surprising that pedestrians are treated like misbehaving dogs.

No comments: