Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Home Cookin'

Recently, after months of enjoying the most authentic Chinese food anyone could ever ask for, I have begun to strike back against the all ethnic diet and return to the bountiful goodness of western food. This revolution was started by a few visits to a few trendy western style restaurants that have cropped up in Shanghai. Using my weekends to relax and revert back to familiar norms, I have surrounded myself with like minded friends who also enjoy the subtle delicacies we used to enjoy at home.

As westerners become more prevalent in Shanghai, so do these restaurants, specializing in delicious and authentic Italian, Greek and French food. I finally found authentic pizza, large Mediterranean style salads (made from fresh, clean vegetables) and most importantly a restaurant so devoted to serving the best chocolate, it would be famous even in Switzerland. I cannot lie, ordering an iced chocolate drink there will make you swear its the greatest thing you've ever tasted until you try the chocolate cake and forget your dinky milkshake.

Its simply a relief to find food that I am not only familiar with when I order, but really enjoy. Chinese food is great, but just like sunny days leave sunburns there can be too much of a good thing.

No comments: