Tuesday, January 29, 2008

44 Years give or take a Cultural Revolution

My job on my trip to Harbin was simple, be Western and speak English. All and all, a rather easy assignment given that (1) I was born in Boston, and (2) I only speak English (give or take a smattering of Spanish). With my job mastered, and a few bus games at the read to aid my cause, I was ready to handle anything any of the 13 paying customers (and one staff member) could throw at me.

Our shivering crew comprised of myself and the organizing staff member (from Shanghai), along with 2 mothers with a total of 3 children in tow ranging from 10-14, a married couple in their 30's, 2 young professional women traveling aside from their significant others, a 16 year old boy from Taiwan, 2 other girls from southern China (not Shanghai) and my male roommate. My roommate was a man in his early 30's who was unique to say the least. His English was poor and we were thrust live together because they hadn't booked enough rooms in the hotel. He slurped his drinks and went to bed early. Had he spoken English I doubt we would have gotten along, but as language was a barrier, it kept everyone in a fine enough mood.

The first night we arrived there were 2 events: Dinner and the Ice Festival. Dinner was at a traditional northern Chinese restaurant, a cuisine noted for its saltier taste and heartier flavors than the rest of China. This was easily discernible from the dishes served to us that first night, however I was depressed to discover that my two favorite dishes were the steamed bread and cabbage in soy sauce. While I made a point to try everything, I was worried and saddened that I didn't enjoy more of the food; however I was much relieved when my fellow travelers also complained about the food and we got free dumplings!

The evening activity was attending the oldest ice festival in China, which was started in 1963. Admittedly they had to take a break in the late 60's/early 70's for the cultural revolution, but I think they're going on year 34 (out of a possible 44) and that ain't bad! In addition to the traditional ice carvings judged for competition (the American Team won... USA! USA!), they had large structures of snow with lights frozen into the blocks. The result was something between beauty and gaudiness, as I didn't know whether to be enamored or repulsed by the Vegas-like light displays. There were slides, a small town square, and a giant Noah's Arc all made from blocks of ice. The picture shown is part of a pagoda and bridge garden typically resting on small koy-filled ponds in China; obviously there were no koy-ponds beneath this bridge. We were given 1 hour there and that's all my poor toes could handle. I would learn to wear more socks on my bunions, but not yet. We all scurried back to the bus at the 61st minute.

No comments: