Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Streets

Well, I find myself at work on my weekend (which happens to be The weekend, but because we teach 7 days a week, there is always people and classes going on). I decided to take this opportunity to express my distaste for the street people of Shanghai. There are 3 types of Chinese people who approach westerners so we'll examine them in depth independently.

We'll start with the best type, the university students who really just want to practice a little English. They usually travel in packs of about 3 and will shout to you 'Hello' but not seem too interested if you don't respond. They can usually be found in populated areas that are usually devoid of tourists, such as parks. I like these people, while the conversations are usually short and light, centering on where I'm from and how I like Shanghai.

The next group is the beggars. Perhaps I'm a little surprised by the number of beggars, because given that it is a communist state I expected more of a welfare system in place. Most of the beggars are women and children, and they are relentless (although apparently less so in Shanghai than in the smaller cities). They wait at cross walks where you have to stand to wait for the walk signal and will stand in front of you shaking their cup for almost a minute before moving on to the next person, saying 'no' or 'i'm sorry' doesn't usher them along either because they can't understand or they believe persistence will pay off. Its really sad to see the children, because you know the parents have taught them to do this and you can't help but wonder what kind of life they have in front of them. They run along side your legs saying 'money, money, money'. I've even heard stories of the children latching a hold of westerners legs and refusing to let go until they're given money. The residents of Shanghai I've spoken too aren't too concerned with homeless/beggars, but there do seem to be a relatively high number and are much more insistent than i've encountered in other cities.

The 3rd, and by far most annoying type of people are the salesmen/women. Frequent in popular tourist areas, they know English for one reason alone, and that is to separate westerners from their money. I can divide this group into two subsections. The first is the watch sellers. They just sort of mull about on the street and as you approach will pull out a little picture of a watch or a handbag and will say 'Hello, Watch? Handbag? DVD?". I originally refused politely, saying 'no' or 'no thanks'. But I am human and can only take so much, so now I walk past, eyes ahead, not speaking as if refusing to acknowledge their existence. I find it is the easiest solution. Now, the worst part about these types of people is they are everywhere. I mean, when these people are stationed every 20 feet on the street, do they think I changed my mind since the last person asked me 5 seconds ago? No, I don't want to buy your stupid knockoff watch, I've no need for a handbag, and I won't follow you down that scary narrow little ally to your 'shop' where you can bang me over the head with a lead pipe and take my iPod. - the other type of saleswoman is the type that leans out of their store as you pass and says 'Hello' in the friendliest possible way, only to be followed by a request for you to step inside her store. This is usually worst when you go to a market because everyone expects your there to shop (soaking in the atmosphere in peace is prohibited).

The unfortunate end result of these people is that I cannot trust anyone on the streets (thankfully I've never come across a pickpocket yet). The hollow 'hello' is thrown around as a means of marketing. What does this mean? Rather than heading to beautiful (but touristy) YaYang Temple, with the classic Chinese roofs and lots of stores, I swing by work; why? Because at the temple, there are 20 kabillion street people trying to sell watches. So not cool.

1 comment:

Andy Lubershane said...

Dan, you jerk, this post was so hilarious I gave myself away at work while reading it by laughing out loud and not being able to stop. I had to explain that rather than doing work, I was reading my friend's blog from China.

Jerk.

Andy