Monday, January 21, 2008

Big Bamboo and the world of Sport

As I'm sitting at work, whittling away the last hour before I go home, wondering if I should correct the grammatical errors in my most recent blog entry and smiling because nobody showed up for my last class of the day, two thoughts consume my mind; 'I'm really tired' and 'thank goodness the Patriots won'.

I made a point of watching the AFC Championship game between the Patriots and Chargers this morning - monday morning. After researching a place to watch the game from, I settled on a little western style sports bar within walking distance of my apartment. The game began at 4am, meaning I had to wake up from my brief nights sleep at 3:20 to be sure to arrive in time to get a seat. Now, usually you couldn't pay me enough to get up at that hour (better chance I'd still be awake from the night before), but given the magnitude of the situation, it was easy.

Let me paint the picture for you. This is a team that I began watching the first weekend in September and became a part of my life. For 16 weeks (excluding their off week), I saw the Pats score at least 1 touchdown live on TV as they steamrolled through anything in their way. For day games I would perhaps only watched a quarter or two, but because the Patriots played so many games at night it became nearly a weekly party with friends, a brief tradition of watching, hoping and cheering. What I'm trying to say is this team became a part of my life then I abandoned it for China and the promise of new adventures. The day I left for China the Patriots beat the Jets 20-10. It was snowing and miserable outside and Tom Brady, for the only time all season, did not throw a touchdown pass. I left for the airport within 30 minutes of the game ending. I have a history, a relationship with this team, I could not abandon them.

Having missed the epic final game against the Giants, or their first playoff win against the Jaguars (the first two games I'd missed all year), I knew I had to see the AFC Championship game. The game was fair, my team won. I watched with a Patriot fan lawyer on my right and two Charger supporting observers on my left. Its strange to be somewhere that doesn't really get going until 5am on a Monday morning. I nursed my beer for 4 quarters and at 7:15am, contently walked back to my apartment for a few more hours of sleep with the Dropkick Murphy's blasting in my ears. I am a fan, it is my blessing, it is my curse.

With little sleep, and my obligation to be at work complete, I shall now go home to bed. In two weeks I will repeat this dance, for my team has but one more game to play. They will win, they haven't failed me yet, nor I them.

2 comments:

Patrick Hart said...

We watched the game at Magoun's -- big, packed house, lots of cheering -- you would have liked it. I'm glad China's going well...

Christina said...

I love the subtlety with which you describe drinking at 4 am. It is both artful and amusing. Ah, Dan, you are just spectacular.