Thursday, January 17, 2008

We All KEA

So, the momentous and much anticipated trip to IKEA happened tonight. After a mind numbing day of training (with no Italian food for lunch, some people wanted.... something different - lame), which was let out thankfully early, I skipped my Lou down to the great Blue and Yellow home of Swedish brilliance.

I'd like to take a moment to mention that EF is a Swedish company. The result of this fact is that all of our many offices worldwide look much like an IKEA office showroom. The desks, chairs, tables, water coolers, white boards and erasers all look like some blond haird blue eyed Swede thought them up and decided they should be sold in easy to assemble at home boxes. Having worked now in two offices for this fine company, I am well versed in assessing Swedish furniture.

That said, I got a couple of planks of wood and some cloth boxes for 50 bucks! Perhaps that is dumbing it down too much, because the truth is I'm gushing with excitement (as the next 7 paragraphs on every minute detail will attest). Its about 6.5 feet tall and 3 feet wide made of unfinished spruce with 5 shelves. Now because its unfinished it won't last as long unless I coat it myself, but I only need it for a year so.... we'll see if i get up the gumption. The white fabric like boxes fit perfectly into it (they aren't even suggested to go together, I'm just a friggen interior design genius. I didn't even like the show Top Design on Bravo). When it occured (I'd already written the next 3 paragraphs) that I could just post a picture of it for you... well, lets just say I was shocked and amazed and loving the 21st century.

In truth I still need a little bit more to complete the room, maybe another small bookshelf or a better desk (this sorry excuse for a table won't cut it forever). All will be assembled with time...

In the meantime, I'll show you more pictures of the JinMao tower (in front, unknown taller tower behind) while I explain why I was cold last night. So, for the past 2 nights, we've had no central heat. Now, this isn't the end of the world because, well the central heat is really just 1 heater in the common room and doesn't do much for heating the bedrooms, so I'm better off with my pair of space heaters. Until last night, when for reasons that will be obvious to the astute technician, we blew a fuse - causing the power to be cut to my bedroom, and one of my roommates. My lucky duck third roommate, is on a different switch and was toasty warm all night.
So last night I shivered and called on my Bryce Canyon camping experience (where we camped at 8000 feet in mid October causing our water bottles to freeze solid overnight despite being left in the car), and donned 2 pairs of pants, pajama top and hoodie sweatshirt and winter cap [plus socks] and as many blanks as I could find, which was 2. The good news is I survived the night. The bad news was I eventually had to get out of bed, which was to the sound of the security guard banging on the door to be let in. One of my roommates had informed her of the electricity problem on her way out, and I was the only one left to let the technician in. He took a look, told me he'd be back at 1:30 and left. Having NO idea how these things work in China, I went to work and left it in the hands of the powers that be (namingly that technician dude). To my joy, delight and glee, when I stumbled in from IKEA with loads of stuff, a faint glow was emitted from my bedroom - my alarm clock was on!
- As a result, I'm giddy all over about my new bookcase and having heat tonight. Its been a good night. Oh yeah, and the New England Patriots rule.

No comments: