Thursday, January 3, 2008

Meals of 2007 (and being homeless)

Well, I'm finally feeling the first onset of an illness. Nothing major, just a few aches and pains, a little tired, runny noes, grogginess, or what any mother would call a bad cold (although I'm sure when the mother's son is in Asia, they're much quicker to proclaim it Avian Flu... its not, I'm fine, don't worry mom).

I've moved out of my hotel, which despite being located in a terrible location (public transport stopped at 7pm, and I work until 9pm most nights - after coming in at noon) was actually a rather nice place to live. They had breakfast every morning if i got up (which I skipped more and more frequently once adjusted from jet lag), they changed my sheets, I had a decent sized room to myself with a view, I had TV with 4 channels in English, thus making it a pretty nice joint all and all. Now I'm homeless.... or at least living in a hostel for the next 10 days. I have an apartment (and its rather nice, with 3 other Americans), but for now its the lovely UCool Hostel Shanghai. I'm in a 12 person room, but thankfully because it is not high travel season, I'm the only one in it!

Now, every year around New Years I have a personal tradition. It doesn't even involve my family per say, just whoever is around. My tradition is to recount the best meals I have eaten in the past year, always excluding major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, because no duh they'll be great. Now just so you know, taste is a major criteria, but also surrounding and company. I know this has nothing to do with Shanghai, but I wanted to have a look at my best 5 or so meals of 2007.

The first one that jumps to my mind was at a restaurant called Georgia Browns in Washington DC I had with my brother and his roommate when I visited over Thanksgiving. Jump Shrimp stuffed with Crab Cake in a thick buttery brown sauce. Probably the best meal I had all year.

Also memorable was my trip to Aurther Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City. Quite simply the most famous BBQ restaurant in the world, and it didn't disappoint. Going with my brother and uncle, we were treated to great brisket at a place where the line was out the door on a Thursday afternoon.

Then it is difficult to distinguish my favorite meal from the weekend of my cousins weeding in Austin. Between the authentic Tex/Mex, the rehearsal dinner at an all you can eat BBQ (the Salt Lick) and the reception itself, it was 3 straight delicious meals. I refuse to choose.

Rounding out the list simply as memorable meals are the goulash I cooked for my family over Thanksgiving weekend (coupled with the mexican breakfast the next morning) and when my roommate Tom cooked for our esteemed guest Min (owns an Indian restaurant).

Maybe I forgot one or two - like the Brazilian BBQ i had in Shanghai (I'm kidding, that was memorable, but totally different reasons). Well with a new year comes new adventures and new trips to the exciting culinary world of China.

Maybe my calling is as a food critic.... whadya think?

1 comment:

Patrick Hart said...

I think you'd make an excellent food critic. Glad to see a Min-related meal made it on the list!